I am a HUGE fan of the Discovery channel show called MythBusters. What they do is they take a myth and they put it to a test. When they do their tests, they set up some parameters and then report the results.
Based on the resulting data they come to a conclusion on if the myth was plausible or if it is BUSTED! Hence the name of the show "MythBusters"
Well there is a mythical story surrounding the "eBay alternative" site called Bonanzle that has been permeating for about a year and I decided to put it to an pretty un-scientific test for fun and profit.
Back in the latter part of 2008 and early in 2009 the buzz on Bonanzle (founded in 2008) was pretty HOT! During that same period of time (August 2008) eBay announced its NEW Fixed Priced 30 listings. But for me, 4th quarter is NOT the time for digging into new things, so I kind of ignored them both really.
Fast forward to February of 2009 and that is when I got a hankering to see what all the noise was about. So I got a wild idea of just putting up some stuff over there on Bonanzle and on eBay as a FP30 listing both at the same time and then track the results. This is a quick video that summarizes the results I got.
Disclaimer : This study was NOT conducted by the New York Institute of Blah…blah…blah. The test results are NOT certified by Loopy, Duppy and Wow, LLc. esquire. The tester, John Lawson is NOT an expert at ANYTHING other than talking ‘ish (I have a certified degree in ‘ish talking from the School of Hard Knocks).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" …Adam Savage (MythBusters)
- Is this a case of David vs. Goliath? Possibly, although the David in this story did not seem to possess a slingshot or a rock. Had eBay not even been in the test it really would NOT have made a bit of difference. The resulting sales on Bonanzle were a desert…dry, dry, dry.
- We only came up with 2 sales in six months? I was honestly SHOCKED and truly disappointed! I really wanted to make sales and see this platform as a viable secondary option.
- If you are going to spend time "self promoting" (Optimization, Adwords, Google Base, etc.) something, I honestly think a focus on trying ones hand at a web store first might actually yield greater results. I think 2 sales in 6 months could be beat with just about ANY ecommerce web store solution, even with one of those low cost turnkey cut and paste out the box solutions.
- Was my test "fair"? NOPE, it was a damn "pop quiz"! And just like it was in high school…if you fail a pop quiz, you can always tell your parents it was the teachers fault, LMAO.
- If you have RESULTS that differ or are the same, PLEASE feel free to place them in the comments section. I welcome all results and it is good to have them from as many people as possible.
- Go out and try a test of your own and see if you get some results. I think a cool test would now be to set up your own web store versus a Bonanzle booth and see what happens?!? Can a fresh ecommerce store yield as many sales as a Bonanzle store?
The Bonanzle Myth:
Game on, baby! Let’s work.